Sunday, May 2, 2010

Mash Up di Vibes


I thought of kissing Her. One second we were looking for kittens and the wind blew her hair into my face. Across my scalp. I felt myself tingle with a sudden realization of her beauty.

The next, we were standing, talking, and I was staring at her lips. Thin, fine lips. I've never kissed thin lips like that. They might be nice, I thought. See the way they form curlicues when She smiles? See the way She presses them together. See the way She occasionally moistens them, as if keeping them ready. Just in case. Our wide, unrestrained smiles might be good together. Pressed together. Held together.

One second I'm taking her home, and she says "I'm not quite ready yet. Lets drive around for a bit. See what we find." And I'm thinking: This is a beginning. I know beginnings. This is one of them. This is a turning point. This is where new things happen. I should know. I am the Fool. I have a close tie to the new. The ever-changing. And I have elation in my head. And I am dancing on the precipice. And I have her lips in my sights.

The next second....She's answering her phone. She is plaintive. She is patient. She is sad. She is uncomfortable. She is saying things like 'I'm on my way home' and 'I don't know' and 'Me too' and 'I'll ask' and 'I said I'll ask.'

Ask what?

"Andre, can you take me to--"

"No." I say. I am not thinking of her lips anymore. "I don't think that's a good idea."  I am thinking of who I know at that address.  No one.  But it must be someone.  "I'll just take you home."

"...Yeah." She says. She sounds disappointed. Her lips aren't as pretty when she frowns.  We are silent.  I am filling in the spaces in her conversation.  Me too.  I'll ask. The next moment she is gathering her things.  Her phone.  She is stepping out of the car.  She waves, disappointed, and as I'm about to say something she puts the phone to her ear and opens her gate.

This is an ending. I know endings. I am the Fool.

No comments:

The in-betweens

    follow me on Twitter